Wednesday 2 March 2011

obervations of a pigeon

I wrote my first letter the other day, yup, my FIRST letter. I'm sure some of you don't even know what a letter is: for email is naturally superior, as there is a small metal chip involved somewhere. We've been taught throughout the whole of junior school that letter-writing is a key skill. Okay, given the reality, it probably isn't -it sure as hell is fun though. Me and a friend have decided to write letters to each other under false names, I have been given the task of the first letter and thus a lot of responsibility lies upon me - this, albeit rather amazingly, is a key skill to have.
The ability to manage responsibility well, and to not abuse it like Facebook or Twitter, is something I have seen slowly sapping away from our lives. It doesn't matter if we bugger something up as we respawn in 8 minutes, or whatever the timer is for WoW: as nice as this would be if it were real, it isn't. Okay, so you can argue that games such as this provide a safe environment for social and physical experimentation - this does only extend this far for some people though. Don't even get me started on the issues of addiction. Humans as a whole will take things different ways - and may end up thinking (maybe a rather extreme scenario) "I can jump off this building and respawn at that Police checkpoint!" which is in the long run not the best outlook to have. I feel that all the wrong messages are being broadcast throughout our once humble nebula, and that it is our responsibility to say no. I am inclined to say that it is our responsibility to harness the moon and change the tides: I implore you now to look at this rock we call Earth. Is it where it should be? Is it the best it can be? How can it be made better? I quote JFK when I say 'One man can make a difference, and every man should try' What difference can you make?
A close friend of mine said that 'you cannot build a house with broken bricks'. I know this is an utterly ridiculous thing to suggest: but maybe some of our bricks need replacing, or at least repairing?

3 comments:

  1. You can't knock down the entire house just because some of the bricks are broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did I say the house should be knocked down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why knock it down when you can blow it up!

    ReplyDelete